The January 2016 Merfolk Meetup is On!

Attention Mermaids, Mermen, and Souls of the Sea - Mark your Calendars for the First Weekend in January 2016! 

Per the information I have gleaned on Facebook and MerNetwork, NC MerFest is on hiatus, pending a possible change in location and time of year. While the weather was an issue for some, it seemed that the first weekend in January was a great time for an indoor gathering. After months of negotiations, I have secured the use of the Greensboro Aquatic Center for a January Mer-Meetup!

Envision swimming in a 17 deep pool in waters that average 84F. There are six bubble curtains adding effervescence to the pool while underwater speakers play an assortment of tunes. There are two sets of semi-submerged stairs to rest on, classrooms we can utilize, and modern locker facilities. I have reserved January 2nd and 3rd but could add Friday the 1st if desired. 

Should there be sufficient interest in the event, I can add the use of the shallow 4 recreational pool for children as well as booking events at local attractions. The nearby Carolina SciQuarium rents its facility at night and would make a wonderful location for a dinner or ball. A short distance away is The Atlantis Room at Graylyn Estate, a mermaid-themed pool built in the 1920s. It would be drained in January as it is unheated but they have a dance floor which is placed over the pool for events.

While I envision a small friendly gathering of mermaids and mermen, adding vendors and workshops are possibilities. I can also investigate local hotels to book a block of rooms. The Greensboro Sheraton is on the same road as the GAC and has a wonderful pool. 

This is just the first round of information, so that those who are interested can mark the dates on their calendars. In the coming days I will post additional details. I look forward to seeing each end every one of you again this January!